May 3rd 2014

Match Reports

Raheny (Group 2) V Trinity Gaels

 Venue:            St. Anne's, Pitch 12a
 Throw In: 10:00
 No. of Raheny Teams: 2
 No. of Opponent Teams: 2
 Weather:Sunny and bright.

Raheny Blue

By: Joanne Kerrisk

Mentors: Conor Pitts, Tony Lawless & Joanne Kerrisk.

SquadColin McAweeney, Evan Wynne, James Pitts, Jack Codd, Brian Murray, Matt Lawless, Sam Mitchell and Ciaran Kerrisk.

Match 1: Today the new Raheny Blue squad met in St. Anne's to take on Trinity Gaels. In the first match it was very much a one sided affair with the Raheny Mid Field and Forwards dominating and our Backs and Goalkeeper having a very quite time as onlookers. The Blue crew demonstrated great team work with hand passing, kick passes and calling to each other. Raheny Blues came out on top to win this game.

Match 2: The Blues met their match in this game and it was a very tight game. All the Blues worked hard and were very unlucky with some shots at the opposition's goal to convert points. The Blue's lost by a small margin.

Players must continue to practice their hand passing and remember Team Work is key.

"Good teams become great ones when the members trust each other enough to surrender the Me for the We." (Phil Jackson)

Raheny Orange

Report By: Padraig Kent .

Mentors: Niall Watters, Padraig Kent & Tony O'Grady 

SquadConor Watters, Dan O'Grady, Ryan Kent, Mathew Grant, Luke Kelly, Oscar Thomas and Adam Roberts

The player reshuffle presented a very new orange crew this weekend as they entertained Trinity Gaels on their home turf at 12 A.  Our first game was a learning experience for Team Orange in terms of playing with familiar yet new faces  while dealing with a Trinity Team that were not going to make our job easy. Trinity’s tackling was excellent allowing our lads no time to stand still and little time to move the ball.  Despite this our lads adjusted well. Adam stood out in goal with some great stops and excellent kick outs while Luke and Ryan combined well in the back line. Dan opened a new page on his play book and worked well with Conor in midfield.  Both of these young men were involved in everything the oranges did well in game one.  Both combining well with our forwards Mathew and Johnny and creating opportunities in the process. Opportunities there were a plenty in game 1 but we had difficulty converting them into scores. Johnny was working hard throughout and completed a hand pass over the bar. Coach Watters had one thing on his mind between games and that was we must improve our tackling. We were simply allowing the opposition too much time on the ball.

Game 2 saw our lads approach the game with a different attitude.  Our combination of Conor, Ryan and Dan in the middle along with Johnny and Luke up front was almost a perfect storm with scores  galore. Johnny repeated his effort in the first game with another hand pass over the bar followed by an opportunistic goal when their keeper fumbled. Dan was on fire with two excellent points. All the while, Oscar and Adam shut down the Trinity attack to a trickle. The second half was different with Trinity throwing everything at us as we new they would. Their response was too late despite 2 points and a goal from 1 individual. Johnny’s new talent for hand pass scores was repeated again in the second half. We look forward to him continuing this habit in the future. The Orange crew won out well by 13 points to 8 in the end. Well done Boy's.

Naomh Mearnog V Raheny (Group 1)

 Venue:            Pairc Mearnog
 Throw In: 11:00
 No. of Raheny Teams: 2
 No. of Opponent Teams: 2
 Weather:Sunny and bright.

Raheny Green

Report By: Kieran Doherty

Mentors: Kieran Doherty & Donni Rossi. 

Squad: Luke Morgan, Matthew Dowdall, Joseph Doherty, Tiernan O Brien, Luke Mc Cullough, Sean Quinn, Cathal Shovlin & Cian Rossi.

The reconstructed Raheny Green team travelled to the familiar venue of Pairc Mearnog. The holiday weekend disrupted player availability and the Green team needed to be supplemented by Martin Bishop, on loan from the Red team, and also by Finn Brasil.

The first match was against a very strong Mearnog side. The Raheny boys competed very well in a match where the home side always had the edge, Despite being under pressure there was some cool play in defence from Matthew Dowdall and Cathal Shovlin who tackled hard and hand passed themselves out of trouble on a number of occasions. The midfield was a tough place  to be but Sean Quinn and Joseph Doherty were up to the challenge and kept going despite the pressure of the opposition. Up front Tiarnan O'Brien and Finn had a difficult time playing off scraps. The home side put up a score of 3 goals and 3 points without a Raheny score but the Green team kept competing and began to get more chances. To their great credit the never say die attitude of the green team paid off when Finn put over the final score of the game. Special mention must go to the guest goalkeeper, Martin Bishop, who made some excellent saves to keep the opposition score down.

The second game was a close affair. Great defensive performances from Matthew and Joseph kept the home side's chances to a minimum. Sean was immense in midfield with some great fielding and he was ably assisted by Cathal. Up front Tiarnan and Finn were getting more chances and it came as no surprise when Finn scored the first point of the game to give Raheny a slender half time lead. Unfortunately, Mearnog made a great start to the second half with two quick points to take the lead. The green team responded well and had a couple of good '45' chances which would have won the game but it was not to be Raheny's day and there were no further scores in the match. There was another sterling performance in goal by Martin Bishop with more great saves and accurate kick outs.

Despite both matches ending in defeat the Raheny boys can be proud of their performances and it bodes well for future games.

Raheny Red

Report By: Paul Nolan

Mentors: Kevin Fitzpatrick & Paul Nolan

Squad: John Broderick, Jamie Nolan, Max Osborne, Dylan Strain, Ultan Fitzpatrick, Odhran Carmody, Joe Bonnor, Martin Bishop and Adam Robinson

The newly formed Red Team started their first football match together against a decent Naomh Mearnog Team in commanding fashion by winning well by 11 points to 4. There were great performances all over the field for Raheny in particular John Broderick and Max Osborne who won every duel in mid field setting up a great platform for our two front men Joe Bonner and Jamie Nolan.

The second match was a lot closer and was nip and tuck all the way to the finish against a strong Mearnog team who won very narrowly. Again mid field play was a major factor with great displays as Ultan Fitzpatrick and Ordhan Carmody stood out. Raheny Reds showed great commitment and resolve and had lots of shots on goal that on another day would have gone over the bar rather than drifting narrowly wide. Dylan Strain held up the ball really well against the wind bringing his team mats into the play but again a little more accuracy in shooting would have sealed a second victory for Raheny.

Roll on next week as the Reds commitment and determination will deliver big results from the remaining matches to the end of the season..