News‎ > ‎Club Newsletter‎ > ‎

Club Notes March 3rd 2014

posted Mar 4, 2014, 12:49 PM by Kevin Brassil   [ updated Mar 4, 2014, 12:52 PM ]

Ogra will not be on the Saturday of St Patrick's Weekend 15th March
and also it will not be on Holy Saturday 19th April

The good weather had a hand in the amount of children we had attending our Ogra on Saturday, 99 children got coached and then enjoyed fresh fruit n water. Thank you to all the mammies who help out with the chopping of said fruit.

NATIONAL DRAW tickets... There are still a lot of these not returned.  This is a fundraiser for YOUR club, please return sold or unsold tickets asap.

Well done to our U15 camogie girls who beat Lucan 06.02 to 00.01 in horrible conditions . Goal of the day goes to Aibhe Kirwan.

Under 10's
Saturday was our first official match of 2014 after all the pitch postponements of the last few weeks. We made the short trip to O'Toole's and we played two matches of 10 a side, one match on the astro and the other on a surprisingly firm pitch.
Both our teams hit the ground running with two superb victories.
The white team were on the grass surface and while it was obviously a slower pitch than the astro, the Raheny lads coped excellently. There were some excellent skills on display particularly some great catches from Eoin Cullen and Conor Aherne and a man of the match display in blocking from Ciaran Hartnett. Overall Raheny were too strong in every department. Special mention to Jason Maguire for his stint in goals. He  must be the only under-10 goalkeeper in Ireland who stepped between the posts with two hurls - one for saving and the other for puck-outs!!
The green team had the luxury of the astro and again were too strong for O'Tooles. The turnout at training and now with a third session during the week has meant that the good work on the training pitch was transferred to the match session. There were another set of excellent performances especially Matthew Sherlock who contributed 3 points (still worth the extra score at under 10 level). He was ably assisted by Johnny Robinson who was his usual energetic self. Other who starred were Paul Hyland and Robert Moran.

Our first home football match of 2014 saw us welcome St Vincent's to 12A. Great numbers again meant that we were able to comfortably field 3 teams.
Our green team had a comfortable victory and were never in trouble from the start. Despite missing a few of our regulars, there were more than enough other willing team members stepping up to give good performances. Stars on the day were Daniel Broderick, Sean Reilly and a superb score coming from Matthew Sherlock.
The white team met the strongest St Vincents team on the day and were always playing second fiddle. The first half was fairly evenly matched but St Vincent's pulled away strongly in the second half. Despite the defeat the lads never stopped competing and special mention goes to Andrew O'Shaughnessy, John McNally and Luke Fitzpatrick. 
The orange team along with the white team also had a convincing victory and their result was never in doubt. This was an all-round team performance with Jonny Robinson contributing his usual never ending work rate. He was ably assisted by James O'Connell and Ross Leahy. Added to this were scores from Cathal Quinn, Stefan Twomey, Cormac Lenehan and Scott Dennis.

U17 girls started their season well with a good win over foxfock/cabinteely 07-13 v 04-05. Well done girls.

AFL7, Junior A. Opening league game Vs Thomas Davis
Raheny 1-8 to Thomas Davis 1-7
This past Tuesday night the Junior A side finally got to kick a ball in anger in their opening league game of the 2014 season. Some faces are now gone, replaced by some newer ones. Change as they say is good, right?
On the Astro at Kiltipper Road, the lads started off by playing some breathtaking football, of course I'm biased but an honest statement.
For 20 minutes Thomas Davis literally had no answers.
Mick O'Keeffe started the scoring with a well worked & very well taken point, scores quickly followed as John O'Donoghue & Micko again got on the end of some good play to add the points. A further 2 points were added by Mark Stauton & Dave McGrath.
Our defence worked really well as a unit for a group playing it's first game together. Steo O'Brien again captain for the season leading by example, he literally let nothing past him. He was supported by the other 5 but in particular Kev Gillen at half back. In defence & attack Kev was a constant outlet for go forward ball.. As a unit the entire defence blocked, harried & harassed every move that Davis tried to get going, Keith holland being very organised in goal also & doing a great job with his kick out.
Our midfield pairing had been changed just before throw in due to an injury in the warm up, Sean Sweeney stepping in to start at the very last minute, himself & John O'Sullivan worked well & set up countless possession for Raheny.
Conor Kileen was found with a great pass wide out on the left, he put his head down, Davis players were just not able to touch him. With supporting runners making their way towards the goal, Conor simply looked up & blasted an amazing shot into the net. Shortly after he actually added a point. However for some reason the level dropped slightly & we went in at half time 1-6, 0-02 points up.
Second half was quite difficult & Thomas Davis managed to work some scores & only for a great stop by Dutchie Holland would have scored a goal.
 Again the defence stood firm & were able to work ball forward, Mike McNeive was always an outlet at half forward, winning plenty of "dirty ball" , taking a fair few bumps & smacks in the process. Plenty of scoring chances were created throughout the second half but unfortunately not all were taken. The standout score of the half was from Mark Stauton, as Sean Sweeney moved forward he tried to find Mick O'Keeffe with a hand pass however it wasn't a great pass but Micko managed to get a lovely touch onto the ball & found Stauton who was running in support, Mark was able to raise the white flag. A goal a further points from Thomas Davis made it a very a close finish. Again the defence worked hard to keep them out & it was a 2 point game after Micko landed a free. In the last minute Thomas Davis ( who clearly finished strongly) worked a great goal chance they however blasted the ball high & over the bar. Soon after the ref blew full time for. One point win.
This group have worked hard in training since the 7th of January, great attitude & effort to the task. That showed on tuesday night, as the opposition ticked the score board over, no one panicked & everyone did their job.
Special mention has to go to Steo O'Brien, Kev Gillen, Sean Sweeney & Conor Killeen.  Wishing Dec McDermott a speedy recovery from what seems like a serious ankle injury.
Team: Keith Holland, Steo O'Brien, Bully McCabe, Brian Malone, Del Browne, Conor Gillen, Kev Gillen, Sean Sweeney, John O'Sullivan, Mark Stauton, Mick O'Keeffe, Mike McNeive, Conor Killeen, Dave McGrath, John O'Donoghue
Subs: Conor Flaherty, Paul Bernard, Stephen Murtagh, Brian Talty, Dec McDermott (injured)

AHL2 00-16 v 01-09 Ballyboden.The changing weather proved to be an advantage to Raheny as they scored ten second half points to overpower Ballyboden St. Endas in this AHL2 match this morning.
Raheny started the match brightly with scores from Eoghan Smyth and David Heffernan putting them into a two point lead but Ballyboden soon took control thanks to Paul Doherty and Eoin Mc Kenna.
Ballyboden St. Endas’ centre back, Ronan Cleary, was particularly impressive in the first half as he cleared up every loose ball that came his way and set up attacks for his team. However, on the Raheny squad, midfielder Eoghan Keogh was just as impressive as he helped out in both defense and attack.
Both teams could be accused of being wasteful in front of goal as both Boden and Raheny registered a large number of wides in the first half. These wides can be attributed to poor shooting but some excellent defending on behalf of both sides meant that it was hard for the forwards to take their scores.
Two long range frees from Raheny centre back, Greg Bennett, put his team into the lead but a goal from Paul Doherty put Ballyboden firmly in the driving seat. The Ballyboden man emerged from a large group of players with the ball to blast it past Stephen Turton in the Raheny goal.
Points from both St. Endas midfielders, Mattie Weldon and Gavin Corrigan, put their team further ahead but two further points from Smyth and Heffernan reduced their lead.
At half time Ballyboden were three points ahead with the score at 1-6 to 0-6.
The weather worsened at the start of the second half as the wind and rain intensified. It served to help Raheny as the wind was at their back.
But the Raheny team that came out in the second half were completely different. The driving rain seemed to spur them on as they won almost every puck out in the second half.
This new found energy, coupled with the Ballyboden men giving away some easy frees, allowed Raheny to level the tie as Eoghan Smyth scored three frees without reply.
Smyth was the star of the second half as his sharp aim from dead ball opportunities brought Raheny back into the game.
Bennett was again at the heart of it for Raheny, snuffing out the Ballyboden attacks and setting up ample scoring opportunities for his team mates.
Boden corner forward, Chris Lambert’s expertly taken point put his team back in front but this was soon cancelled out by a point from Raheny’s Michael Grenham.
Raheny then took the initiative as substitute Ger Cody contributed two great points to take the lead. Two further points from play from Eoghan Smyth gave Raheny a commanding lead.
A point from Ballyboden substitute, James Madden, gave Boden false hope of a comeback but two further points from Ger Cody and Eoghan Smyth put Raheny out of sight.
It was left to Mattie Weldon to score a consolation point for Ballyboden but in the end that is all it was as Raheny ran out 0-16 to 1-9 winners.
Star Man
Eoghan Smyth (Raheny)
Raheny’s wing forward worked tirelessly and was constantly showing for passes from his team mates. He was rewarded for his hard work by scoring eight points.

Minor A - Raheny Minor A team (Division 2a) had an impressive win against Naomh Barrog away on Sunday morning. Eight weeks off hard preseason training from all was evident and resulted in an overall impressive team performance in tricky weather conditions. The victory gets the league off with a win and the season off to a great start. Result: Raheny 1-09 to Naomh Barrog 1-03.
Minor B lost to St Pats Donabate.

Mothers Day Brunch 30th March from 12-3pm. All welcome.

Championship draws have taken place, Our Senior footballers have St Peregrines in the first round. Further details can be found on Hill.16

OUR LOTTO IS LIVE ON-LINE, you know what they say if your not in you cant win!!! 

Visit for more info.

LOTTO -- Lotto can be done on-line, or in the club lounge or by standing order. It  couldn't be easier.

Torthai an Chranchuir 24/02/14. Uimreacha; 2, 8, 9, 10.
Ni raibh aon buaiteoir.
Pota Or 10/3/14 - €7,400. Go n-eiri libh go leir.
The three €25 Lucky Dip winners this week are:
1) Veronica O'Connor.
2) Sandra Hughes.
3) Ger Coady.
Three tickets hit the bar with three numbers. These are now entered into this month's draw for €200; Aine & Siobhan Magee, Heffo and Collette Connolly.
Again many thanks to our overseas players.

There is no strength without working together